Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

PRMIA Exam 8010 Topic 4 Question 52 Discussion

Actual exam question for PRMIA's Operational Risk Manager (ORM) Exam exam
Question #: 52
Topic #: 4
[All Operational Risk Manager (ORM) Exam Questions]

Which of the following belong to the family of generalized extreme value distributions:

1. Frechet

2. Gumbel

3. Weibull

4. Exponential

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B

Extreme value theory focuses on the extreme and rare events, and in the case of VaR calculations, it is focused on the right tail of the loss distribution. In very simple and non-technical terms, EVT says the following:

1. Pull a number of large iid random samples from the population,

2. For each sample, find the maximum,

3. Then the distribution of these maximum values will follow a Generalized Extreme Value distribution.

(In some ways, it is parallel to the central limit theorem which says that the the mean of a large number of random samples pulled from any population follows a normal distribution, regardless of the distribution of the underlying population.)

Generalized Extreme Value (GEV) distributions have three parameters: (shape parameter), (location parameter) and (scale parameter). Based upon the value of , a GEV distribution may either be a Frechet, Weibull or a Gumbel. These are the only three types of extreme value distributions.

Contribute your Thoughts:

Keena
27 days ago
Nailed it! Frechet, Gumbel, and Weibull are the generalized extreme value distributions. Option B is the answer.
upvoted 0 times
Melvin
6 days ago
User 2: So, the answer is B) 1, 2 and 3.
upvoted 0 times
Maryann
9 days ago
User 1: Nailed it! Frechet, Gumbel, and Weibull are the generalized extreme value distributions.
upvoted 0 times
Lavonna
30 days ago
I think Junita is correct, because Frechet, Gumbel, and Weibull distributions are part of the generalized extreme value distributions family.
upvoted 0 times
Junita
1 months ago
I'm not sure, but I think the answer might be B) 1, 2 and 3.
upvoted 0 times
Meaghan
1 months ago
Haha, Exponential? Really? That's like putting Apples in the Pear family. Option B is the way to go!
upvoted 0 times
Leota
1 months ago
Wow, this is a tricky one! I think I'll go with option B. Exponential is a different distribution, isn't it?
upvoted 0 times
King
1 months ago
Option B is the correct answer. Frechet, Gumbel, and Weibull are the three members of the generalized extreme value distribution family.
upvoted 0 times
Sherell
18 days ago
So, Exponential does not belong to the family then.
upvoted 0 times
Claudia
20 days ago
Yes, you are right. Frechet, Gumbel, and Weibull belong to the family of generalized extreme value distributions.
upvoted 0 times
Nicolette
26 days ago
I think the correct answer is B) 1, 2 and 3
upvoted 0 times
Malcolm
1 months ago
Hmm, I'm pretty sure Frechet, Gumbel, and Weibull are the generalized extreme value distributions. Not so sure about Exponential though.
upvoted 0 times
Georgene
22 days ago
Yeah, I agree. I'm not sure about Exponential though.
upvoted 0 times
Jeniffer
25 days ago
I think you're right, Frechet, Gumbel, and Weibull are part of the generalized extreme value distributions.
upvoted 0 times
Cristen
1 months ago
I agree with Polly, because all of those distributions are part of the generalized extreme value distributions family.
upvoted 0 times
Polly
2 months ago
I think the answer is D) All of the above.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel