Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

PRMIA Exam 8006 Topic 7 Question 90 Discussion

Actual exam question for PRMIA's Exam I: Finance Theory, Financial Instruments, Financial Markets – 2015 Edition exam
Question #: 90
Topic #: 7
[All Exam I: Finance Theory, Financial Instruments, Financial Markets – 2015 Edition Questions]

The two components of risk in a commodities futures portfolio are:

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B

Commodity futures prices can be expressed as the summation of their spot prices and the carrying costs. Therefore any changes in either of these two would be a risk to the futures prices, and Choice 'b' is the correct answer. It is common to decompose complex commodity portfolios into underlying equivalent spot positions and the carrying costs, which includes interest, convenience yield and storage costs. For liquid commodities such as gold where changes of a short squeeze are low, interest costs dominate the carryings costs. Choice 'b' is the correct answer as it is most complete and covers the elements in the other choices. The 'lease rate' for a commodity is equivalent to (Fwd Price - Spot Price)/Spot Price, and comprises the interest and storage costs and the convenience yield. The other choices do not represent complete answers.

Contribute your Thoughts:

Ellsworth
3 months ago
B seems like the obvious choice here. I mean, who doesn't love a good spot price and carrying cost combo, am I right folks? *crickets*
upvoted 0 times
Trinidad
2 months ago
B) Changes in spot prices and carrying costs, also called commodity lease rates
upvoted 0 times
Almeta
2 months ago
A) Changes in the convenience yield and storage costs
upvoted 0 times
Mabel
3 months ago
I believe it's B) because spot prices and carrying costs directly impact the risk in a commodities futures portfolio.
upvoted 0 times
Irma
3 months ago
I'm not sure, but I think it could also be D) The risk from change in basis and interest rates.
upvoted 0 times
Dean
3 months ago
Option B is the way to go. Gotta watch out for those pesky carrying costs, am I right? *wink*
upvoted 0 times
Beatriz
3 months ago
Definitely B. Spot prices and carrying costs are the foundations of commodity futures risk. Simple and straightforward.
upvoted 0 times
Pearlie
2 months ago
I see your point, but I still think the risk from changes in basis and interest rates is important to consider.
upvoted 0 times
Raina
2 months ago
I believe changes in interest rates and spot prices are the main components of risk in commodities futures.
upvoted 0 times
Shelia
2 months ago
I think changes in convenience yield and storage costs also play a significant role.
upvoted 0 times
Estrella
2 months ago
I agree, spot prices and carrying costs are crucial in assessing risk.
upvoted 0 times
Latrice
3 months ago
I agree with Gilbert, spot prices and carrying costs are key components of risk in commodities futures.
upvoted 0 times
Curtis
4 months ago
I think the correct answer is B. Changes in spot prices and carrying costs, also called commodity lease rates. That covers the two main components of risk in a commodities futures portfolio.
upvoted 0 times
Emelda
3 months ago
Spot prices and carrying costs are key components to consider when managing risk in a commodities futures portfolio.
upvoted 0 times
Elke
3 months ago
I think it's a combination of changes in spot prices and carrying costs, along with commodity lease rates.
upvoted 0 times
Yuette
3 months ago
I agree, changes in spot prices and carrying costs are definitely important factors to consider.
upvoted 0 times
Gilbert
4 months ago
I think the answer is B) Changes in spot prices and carrying costs.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel