Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

Eccouncil Exam 312-50 Topic 4 Question 85 Discussion

Actual exam question for Eccouncil's 312-50 exam
Question #: 85
Topic #: 4
[All 312-50 Questions]

A certified ethical hacker is conducting a Whois footprinting activity on a specific domain. The individual is leveraging various tools such as Batch IP Converter and Whols Analyzer Pro to retrieve vital details but is unable to gather complete Whois information from the registrar for a particular set of dat

a. As the hacker, what might be the probable data model being utilized by the domain's registrar for storing and looking up

Who is information?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: D

A thin Whois model is a type of data model that is used by some domain registrars for storing and looking up Whois information. In a thin Whois model, the registrar only stores the basic information about the domain, such as the domain name, the registrar name, the name servers, and the registration and expiration dates. The rest of the information, such as the contact details of the domain owner, the administrative contact, and the technical contact, is stored by the registry that manages the top-level domain (TLD) of the domain. For example, the registry for .com and .net domains is Verisign, and the registry for .org domains is Public Interest Registry.When a Whois lookup is performed on a domain that uses a thin Whois model, the registrar's Whois server only returns the basic information and refers the query to the registry's Whois server for the complete information1.

As a hacker, if you are unable to gather complete Whois information from the registrar for a particular set of data, it might be because the domain's registrar is using a thin Whois model and the registry's Whois server is not responding or providing the information. This could be due to various reasons, such as network issues, server errors, rate limits, privacy policies, or legal restrictions. Therefore, the probable data model being utilized by the domain's registrar for storing and looking up Whois information is a thin Whois model working correctly.

Differences Between Thin WHOIS vs Thick WHOIS -- OpenSRS Help & Support

Contribute your Thoughts:

Beula
1 months ago
Is it just me, or do these Whois models sound like they're straight out of a spy novel? 'Thick' and 'thin' - what is this, a diet plan for hackers?
upvoted 0 times
Latanya
3 days ago
A: True, those terms do sound like they're from a spy novel!
upvoted 0 times
Emile
5 days ago
B: Or it could be a Thin Whois model working correctly.
upvoted 0 times
Misty
6 days ago
A: Maybe the registrar is using a Thick Whois model with a malfunctioning server.
upvoted 0 times
Kindra
7 days ago
C) Thin Whois model with a malfunctioning server
upvoted 0 times
Sabina
13 days ago
B) Thick Whois model working correctly
upvoted 0 times
King
27 days ago
A) Thick Whois model with a malfunctioning server
upvoted 0 times
Lauran
1 months ago
I think the issue might actually be with the server, regardless of the data model being used.
upvoted 0 times
Verona
1 months ago
I'm going with the thin Whois model working correctly. Why make it complicated when you can just keep it simple?
upvoted 0 times
Bernardo
20 days ago
B: I agree, it could be causing the issue with retrieving the complete Whois information.
upvoted 0 times
Lorriane
22 days ago
A: I think it's the Thick Whois model with a malfunctioning server.
upvoted 0 times
Shaniqua
1 months ago
But wouldn't a Thick Whois model make more sense for storing and looking up Whois information?
upvoted 0 times
Sharan
1 months ago
I disagree, I believe it could be a Thin Whois model with a malfunctioning server.
upvoted 0 times
Dianne
1 months ago
This is a tricky one. I'd say a thick Whois model with a malfunction. Those registrars can be so sneaky sometimes.
upvoted 0 times
Adelina
2 months ago
Hmm, I'm guessing it's a thin Whois model with a malfunctioning server. The registrar is probably trying to hide something.
upvoted 0 times
Michal
4 days ago
D: The registrar might be facing technical issues with their server.
upvoted 0 times
Larae
5 days ago
C: I think it's a thin Whois model with a malfunctioning server.
upvoted 0 times
Tracey
6 days ago
B: Maybe it's a thin Whois model working correctly.
upvoted 0 times
Elfriede
10 days ago
A: It could be a thick Whois model with a malfunctioning server.
upvoted 0 times
Shaniqua
2 months ago
I think the registrar might be using a Thick Whois model with a malfunctioning server.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel