Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

Eccouncil Exam 312-50 Topic 19 Question 86 Discussion

Actual exam question for Eccouncil's 312-50 exam
Question #: 86
Topic #: 19
[All 312-50 Questions]

An ethical hacker has been tasked with assessing the security of a major corporation's network. She suspects the network uses default SNMP community strings. To exploit this, she plans to extract valuable network information using SNMP enumeration. Which tool could best help her to get the information without directly modifying any parameters within the SNMP agent's management information base (MIB)?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A

snmp-check (snmp_enum Module) is the best tool to help the ethical hacker to get the information without directly modifying any parameters within the SNMP agent's MIB. snmp-check is a tool that allows the user to enumerate SNMP devices and extract information from them. It can gather a wide array of information about the target, such as system information, network interfaces, routing tables, ARP cache, installed software, running processes, TCP and UDP services, user accounts, and more. snmp-check can also perform brute force attacks to discover the SNMP community strings, which are the passwords used to access the SNMP agent. snmp-check is available as a standalone tool or as a module (snmp_enum) within the Metasploit framework.

The other options are not as effective or suitable as snmp-check for the ethical hacker's task. Nmap is a network scanning and enumeration tool that can perform various types of scans and probes on the target. It can also run scripts to perform specific tasks, such as retrieving SNMP information. However, Nmap may not be able to gather as much information as snmp-check, and it may also trigger alerts or blocks from firewalls or intrusion detection systems. Oputils is a network monitoring and management toolset that can perform various functions, such as device discovery, configuration backup, bandwidth monitoring, IP address management, and more. However, Oputils is mainly designed for device management and not SNMP enumeration, and it may not be able to extract valuable network information from the SNMP agent. SnmpWalk is a tool that allows the user to retrieve the entire MIB tree of an SNMP agent by using SNMP GETNEXT requests. However, SnmpWalk is not suitable for the ethical hacker's task, because it requires the user to change an OID (object identifier) to a different value, which may modify the parameters within the SNMP agent's MIB and affect its functionality or security.Reference:

snmp-check - The SNMP enumerator

SNMP Enumeration | Ethical Hacking - GreyCampus

SNMP Enumeration - GeeksforGeeks

Nmap - the Network Mapper - Free Security Scanner

OpUtils - Network Monitoring & Management Toolset

SnmpWalk - SNMP MIB Browser

Contribute your Thoughts:

Brynn
26 days ago
Haha, can you imagine the IT guy's face when he sees 'Oputits' on the report? 'What in the world is that?'
upvoted 0 times
Susy
8 days ago
A) snmp-check (snmp_enum Module) to gather a wide array of information about the target
upvoted 0 times
Frederick
1 months ago
I think SnmpWalk could also be useful, as it allows for extracting information without changing any values.
upvoted 0 times
Hyman
1 months ago
SnmpWalk, huh? Changing an OID? Sounds a bit too risky for my liking. Better play it safe with snmp-check.
upvoted 0 times
Myong
19 days ago
User 1: I agree, snmp-check is a safer option to gather information.
upvoted 0 times
Selma
1 months ago
But snmp-check provides a wide array of information without directly modifying parameters.
upvoted 0 times
Fairy
1 months ago
Oputits? Really? Sounds like something you'd find in a medieval torture chamber, not a network assessment tool.
upvoted 0 times
Dottie
23 days ago
B) Nmap, with a script to retrieve all running SNMP processes and associated ports
upvoted 0 times
Maxima
28 days ago
A) snmp-check (snmp_enum Module) to gather a wide array of information about the target
upvoted 0 times
Muriel
1 months ago
I disagree, I believe Nmap with a script to retrieve SNMP processes would be more effective.
upvoted 0 times
Cherry
1 months ago
Nmap with a script? Now that's some serious hacking skills right there! Let's hope the IT guys don't catch on.
upvoted 0 times
Annamaria
1 months ago
Hmm, snmp-check seems like the way to go. I mean, who wants to mess with the MIB, am I right?
upvoted 0 times
Nada
17 days ago
Gladis: Yeah, snmp-check is the safer option to avoid any unintended changes to the network.
upvoted 0 times
Robt
25 days ago
User 3: Nmap could work too, but snmp-check is more focused on SNMP enumeration.
upvoted 0 times
Gladis
29 days ago
User 2: Definitely, it allows you to gather a wide array of information without changing anything in the MIB.
upvoted 0 times
Tish
1 months ago
User 1: I agree, snmp-check is the best tool for SNMP enumeration.
upvoted 0 times
Selma
2 months ago
I think the best tool would be snmp-check to gather information about the target.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel