Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

Eccouncil Exam 312-50 Topic 15 Question 87 Discussion

Actual exam question for Eccouncil's 312-50 exam
Question #: 87
Topic #: 15
[All 312-50 Questions]

An IT company has just implemented new security controls to their network and system setup. As a Certified Ethical Hacker, your responsibility is to assess the possible vulnerabilities in the new setup. You are given the information that the network and system are adequately patched with the latest updates, and all employees have gone through recent cybersecurity awareness training. Considering the potential vulnerability sources,

what is the best initial approach to vulnerability assessment?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A

A vulnerability assessment is a systematic review of security weaknesses in an information system.It evaluates if the system is susceptible to any known vulnerabilities, assigns severity levels to those vulnerabilities, and recommends remediation or mitigation, if and whenever needed1. A vulnerability assessment can be performed using various tools and techniques, depending on the scope and objectives of the assessment.

Considering the potential vulnerability sources, the best initial approach to vulnerability assessment is to check for hardware and software misconfigurations to identify any possible loopholes. Hardware and software misconfigurations are common sources of vulnerabilities that can expose the system to unauthorized access, data breaches, or service disruptions. Hardware and software misconfigurations can include:

Insecure default settings, such as weak passwords, open ports, unnecessary services, or verbose error messages.

Improper access control policies, such as granting excessive privileges, allowing anonymous access, or failing to revoke access for terminated users.

Lack of encryption or authentication mechanisms, such as using plain text protocols, storing sensitive data in clear text, or transmitting data without verifying the identity of the sender or receiver.

Outdated or incompatible software versions, such as using unsupported or deprecated software, failing to apply security patches, or having software conflicts or dependencies.

Checking for hardware and software misconfigurations can help identify any possible loopholes that could be exploited by attackers to compromise the system or the data. Checking for hardware and software misconfigurations can be done using various tools, such as:

Configuration management tools, such as Ansible, Puppet, or Chef, that can automate the deployment and maintenance of consistent and secure configurations across the system.

Configuration auditing tools, such as Nipper, Lynis, or OpenSCAP, that can scan the system for deviations from the desired or expected configurations and report any issues or vulnerabilities.

Configuration testing tools, such as Inspec, Serverspec, or Testinfra, that can verify the system's compliance with the specified configuration rules and standards.

Therefore, checking for hardware and software misconfigurations is the best initial approach to vulnerability assessment, as it can help identify and eliminate any possible loopholes that could pose a security risk to the system or the data.

Vulnerability Assessment Principles | Tenable

Configuration Management Tools: A Complete Guide - Guru99

Top 10 Configuration Auditing Tools - Infosec Resources

[Configuration Testing Tools: A Complete Guide - Guru99]

Contribute your Thoughts:

Arleen
14 days ago
Ooh, I'm feeling option A. Misconfigurations are the low-hanging fruit, gotta start there.
upvoted 0 times
Kimbery
15 days ago
C is the winner for me. Ex-employees are the real threat, they know all the secrets!
upvoted 0 times
Yaeko
3 days ago
C is a good choice. Ex-employees can be a major security risk.
upvoted 0 times
Solange
19 days ago
D all the way! Social engineering is where it's at. Let's see if those employees can keep it together.
upvoted 0 times
Myra
5 days ago
A) Checking for hardware and software misconfigurations to identify any possible loopholes
upvoted 0 times
Clement
23 days ago
I think conducting social engineering tests as mentioned in option D) is necessary to ensure employees are not easily tricked.
upvoted 0 times
Cheryll
1 months ago
B makes sense to me. Evaluating the network for weaknesses is key, can't miss those juicy vulnerabilities.
upvoted 0 times
Edelmira
1 months ago
I believe option B) Evaluating the network for inherent technology weaknesses is also important to consider.
upvoted 0 times
Rossana
1 months ago
I agree with Linwood, identifying loopholes in the setup is crucial for vulnerability assessment.
upvoted 0 times
Anjelica
1 months ago
A seems like the way to go. Gotta check those configurations, you know, leave no stone unturned!
upvoted 0 times
Oretha
5 days ago
User 2: Oretha is right, we need to make sure everything is configured correctly to prevent any vulnerabilities.
upvoted 0 times
Jacklyn
12 days ago
User 1: A) Checking for hardware and software misconfigurations to identify any possible loopholes
upvoted 0 times
Jerrod
15 days ago
User 3: I agree, it's important to cover all bases when assessing vulnerabilities.
upvoted 0 times
Edmond
18 days ago
User 2: Definitely, misconfigurations can be a big vulnerability.
upvoted 0 times
Evelynn
23 days ago
User 1: A seems like the way to go. Gotta check those configurations, you know, leave no stone unturned!
upvoted 0 times
Stanford
25 days ago
User 2: Definitely, it's important to cover all bases when assessing security.
upvoted 0 times
Shaun
26 days ago
User 1: I agree, checking for misconfigurations is crucial to finding vulnerabilities.
upvoted 0 times
Linwood
1 months ago
I think the best initial approach would be A) Checking for hardware and software misconfigurations.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel