Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

Eccouncil Exam 212-89 Topic 3 Question 69 Discussion

Actual exam question for Eccouncil's 212-89 exam
Question #: 69
Topic #: 3
[All 212-89 Questions]

An attacker after performing an attack decided to wipe evidences using artifact wiping techniques to evade forensic investigation. He applied magnetic field to the digital

media device, resulting in an entirely clean device of any previously stored data.

Identify the artifact wiping technique used by the attacker.

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B

The technique described, where an attacker applies a magnetic field to a digital media device to clean it of any previously stored data, is known as disk degaussing. Degaussing is a method used to erase a disk or tape by exposing it to a strong magnetic field, destroying the magnetic data storage mechanism and leaving the device clean of any data. This process is effectively used for wiping digital evidence in a way that makes recovery impossible, serving as a method of anti-forensics. Unlike file wiping utilities or disk cleaning utilities, which overwrite or delete data (potentially leaving traces that can be recovered), degaussing physically alters the storage medium itself, making data recovery unfeasible. Reference: The ECIH v3 certification program discusses various artifact wiping techniques, including degaussing, as part of understanding anti-forensic methods that attackers use to evade detection and investigation.

Contribute your Thoughts:

Belen
4 days ago
Haha, I bet the attacker is kicking themselves for not using a microwave oven instead. That would have been a more 'shocking' way to wipe the evidence!
upvoted 0 times
Talia
5 days ago
I'm not sure, but I think disk cleaning utilities could also be used for artifact wiping.
upvoted 0 times
Michal
7 days ago
I agree with Raul, disk degaussing/destruction would completely wipe the device.
upvoted 0 times
Raul
9 days ago
I think the attacker used disk degaussing/destruction.
upvoted 0 times
Hector
18 days ago
I'm going with B as well. Applying a strong magnetic field is a classic technique for erasing data beyond recovery.
upvoted 0 times
Valentine
22 days ago
Definitely B. Disk degaussing is the only way to completely wipe all data from a device. Anything else would leave traces behind.
upvoted 0 times
Ressie
1 days ago
Syscall proxying is not a method used for artifact wiping.
upvoted 0 times
Ming
9 days ago
File wiping utilities may not completely erase all traces of data.
upvoted 0 times
Desmond
11 days ago
Yes, disk degaussing destroys all data by applying a strong magnetic field.
upvoted 0 times
Elli
12 days ago
I agree, disk degaussing is the most effective way to wipe all data.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel