Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

CompTIA Exam N10-009 Topic 5 Question 3 Discussion

Actual exam question for CompTIA's N10-009 exam
Question #: 3
Topic #: 5
[All N10-009 Questions]

A network administrator wants to configure a backup route in case the primary route fails. A dynamic routing protocol is not installed on the router. Which of the following routing features should the administrator choose to accomplish this task?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C

Introduction to Administrative Distance

Administrative distance (AD) is a value used by routers to rank routes from different routing protocols. AD represents the trustworthiness of the source of the route. Lower AD values are more preferred. If a router has multiple routes to a destination from different sources, it will choose the route with the lowest AD.

Static Routes and Backup Routes

When a dynamic routing protocol is not used, static routes can be employed. Static routes are manually configured routes. To ensure a backup route, multiple static routes to the same destination can be configured with different AD values.

Configuring Static Routes with Administrative Distance

The primary route is configured with a lower AD value, making it the preferred route. The backup route is configured with a higher AD value. In the event of the primary route failure, the router will then use the backup route.

Example Configuration:

plaintext

Copy code

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1 1

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.2 10

In the above example, 192.168.1.0/24 is the destination network.

10.0.0.1 is the next-hop IP address for the primary route with an AD of 1.

10.0.0.2 is the next-hop IP address for the backup route with an AD of 10.

Verification:

After configuration, use the show ip route command to verify that the primary route is in use and the backup route is listed as a candidate for use if the primary route fails.

CompTIA Network+ guide explains the concept of administrative distance and its use in static routing configuration (see page Ref 9Basic Configuration Commands).

Contribute your Thoughts:

Alishia
3 days ago
Wait, is this a 'Choose the wrong answer' type of question? If so, I'm going with A) Neighbor adjacency. Sounds like it has nothing to do with static routing.
upvoted 0 times
Tyisha
6 days ago
Haha, this is a trick question! The answer is obviously C) Administrative distance. What is this, amateur hour?
upvoted 0 times
Dorthy
12 days ago
D) Hop count? Really? That's for distance-vector routing protocols, not static routes. I'm going with C).
upvoted 0 times
Kasandra
24 days ago
Hmm, I'm not sure. Maybe B) Link state flooding? That sounds like it could help with failover, right?
upvoted 0 times
Eulah
3 days ago
Actually, D) Hop count might be more suitable for this task.
upvoted 0 times
Portia
10 days ago
I think C) Administrative distance would be a better choice for configuring a backup route.
upvoted 0 times
Nathalie
26 days ago
I see, so administrative distance is the best choice for configuring a backup route without a dynamic routing protocol.
upvoted 0 times
Francesco
29 days ago
Hop count is more about the number of routers a packet has to pass through, not really for backup route selection.
upvoted 0 times
Farrah
1 months ago
I think C) Administrative distance would be the best choice here. It allows you to set a backup route with a higher priority.
upvoted 0 times
France
6 days ago
I agree, C) Administrative distance is the way to go for setting up a backup route.
upvoted 0 times
Levi
9 days ago
I think C) Administrative distance is more reliable for setting up a backup route in case of failure.
upvoted 0 times
Ressie
20 days ago
Wouldn't D) Hop count also work for this scenario? It could help determine the shortest path.
upvoted 0 times
Wilbert
23 days ago
I agree, C) Administrative distance is the way to go for setting up a backup route.
upvoted 0 times
Fatima
1 months ago
But what about using D) Hop count? It also helps in selecting the best route based on the number of hops.
upvoted 0 times
Nathalie
1 months ago
I agree with Francesco, because administrative distance is used to select the best route when multiple paths are available.
upvoted 0 times
Francesco
2 months ago
I think the answer is C) Administrative distance.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel