Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

CompTIA Exam N10-009 Topic 3 Question 2 Discussion

Actual exam question for CompTIA's N10-009 exam
Question #: 2
Topic #: 3
[All N10-009 Questions]

Which of the following is a characteristic of the application layer?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A

Introduction to OSI Model:

The OSI model is a conceptual framework used to understand network interactions in seven layers: Physical, Data Link, Network, Transport, Session, Presentation, and Application.

Application Layer:

The application layer (Layer 7) is the topmost layer in the OSI model. It provides network services directly to end-user applications. This layer facilitates communication between software applications and lower layers of the network protocol stack.

Reliance on Other Layers:

The application layer relies on the transport layer (Layer 4) for data transfer across the network. The transport layer ensures reliable data delivery through protocols like TCP and UDP.

The network layer (Layer 3) is responsible for routing packets to their destination.

The data link layer (Layer 2) handles node-to-node data transfer and error detection.

The physical layer (Layer 1) deals with the physical connection between devices.

Explanation of the Options:

A . It relies upon other layers for packet delivery: This is correct. The application layer depends on the lower layers (transport, network, data link, and physical) for the actual delivery of data packets.

B . It checks independently for packet loss: This is incorrect. Packet loss detection is typically handled by the transport layer (e.g., TCP).

C . It encrypts data in transit: This is incorrect. Encryption is typically handled by the presentation layer or at the transport layer (e.g., TLS/SSL).

D . It performs address translation: This is incorrect. Address translation is performed by the network layer (e.g., NAT).

Conclusion:

The application layer's primary role is to interface with the end-user applications and ensure that data is correctly presented to the user. It relies on the underlying layers to manage the actual data transport and delivery processes.

CompTIA Network+ guide covering the OSI model and the specific roles and functions of each layer (see page Ref 10How to Use Cisco Packet Tracer).

Contribute your Thoughts:

Arleen
8 days ago
If the application layer can't handle packet loss, it's time to switch to the 'drop-the-application' layer.
upvoted 0 times
Elinore
11 days ago
The application layer? More like the 'I can't figure this out' layer, am I right? *laughs*
upvoted 0 times
Doug
19 days ago
I bet it's option B. The application layer should be able to check for packet loss independently, right?
upvoted 0 times
Kate
23 days ago
Hmm, I'm not sure. Maybe option D? Address translation seems like it could be an application layer function.
upvoted 0 times
Carmelina
25 days ago
Option C sounds right to me. Encrypting data in transit is a key responsibility of the application layer.
upvoted 0 times
Lai
27 days ago
I think it has to be option A. The application layer relies on the lower layers to handle packet delivery and other low-level networking tasks.
upvoted 0 times
Frank
2 months ago
I think Jacki is correct. The application layer does encrypt data in transit to ensure security.
upvoted 0 times
Jacki
2 months ago
I disagree with Sue. I believe it is C) It encrypts data in transit.
upvoted 0 times
Sue
2 months ago
I think the characteristic of the application layer is A) It relies upon other layers for packet delivery.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel