Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

CompTIA Exam N10-009 Topic 1 Question 1 Discussion

Actual exam question for CompTIA's N10-009 exam
Question #: 1
Topic #: 1
[All N10-009 Questions]

Which of the following most likely requires the use of subinterfaces?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A

Introduction to Subinterfaces:

Subinterfaces are logical interfaces created on a single physical interface. They are used to enable a router to support multiple networks on a single physical interface.

Use Case for Subinterfaces:

Subinterfaces are commonly used in scenarios where VLANs are implemented. A router with a single physical LAN port can be configured with multiple subinterfaces, each associated with a different VLAN.

This setup allows the router to route traffic between different VLANs.

Example Configuration:

Consider a router with a single physical interface GigabitEthernet0/0 and two VLANs, 10 and 20.

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.10

encapsulation dot1Q 10

ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.20

encapsulation dot1Q 20

ip address 192.168.20.1 255.255.255.0

The encapsulation dot1Q command specifies the VLAN ID.

Explanation of the Options:

A . A router with only one available LAN port: This is correct. Subinterfaces allow a single physical interface to manage multiple networks, making it essential for routers with limited physical interfaces.

B . A firewall performing deep packet inspection: Firewalls can use subinterfaces, but it is not a requirement for deep packet inspection.

C . A hub utilizing jumbo frames: Hubs do not use subinterfaces as they operate at Layer 1 and do not manage IP addressing.

D . A switch using Spanning Tree Protocol: STP is a protocol for preventing loops in a network and does not require subinterfaces.

Conclusion:

Subinterfaces provide a practical solution for routing between multiple VLANs on a router with limited physical interfaces. They allow network administrators to optimize the use of available hardware resources efficiently.

CompTIA Network+ guide detailing VLAN configurations and the use of subinterfaces (see page Ref 9Basic Configuration Commands).

Contribute your Thoughts:

Alana
8 days ago
Haha, C) A hub utilizing jumbo frames? That's a good one! Hubs don't even use subinterfaces, they're like the dinosaurs of networking.
upvoted 0 times
Charlena
10 days ago
I'm going with A) A router with only one available LAN port. Subinterfaces would allow that router to create multiple logical interfaces on the single physical port, expanding its connectivity options.
upvoted 0 times
Yaeko
13 days ago
B) A firewall performing deep packet inspection is my pick. Subinterfaces can help the firewall segregate and inspect traffic more efficiently across different logical interfaces.
upvoted 0 times
Martina
29 days ago
I think D) A switch using Spanning Tree Protocol might also need subinterfaces for VLAN segmentation.
upvoted 0 times
Aliza
1 months ago
I'm not sure, but I think A) A router with only one available LAN port could also require subinterfaces.
upvoted 0 times
Stephania
1 months ago
D) A switch using Spanning Tree Protocol seems like the correct answer here. Subinterfaces are often used to manage and configure multiple logical interfaces on a single physical interface, which is a common requirement for switches running STP.
upvoted 0 times
Elenora
28 days ago
That makes sense, subinterfaces help manage multiple logical interfaces on a single physical interface.
upvoted 0 times
Elenora
1 months ago
I agree, subinterfaces are commonly used with switches running STP.
upvoted 0 times
Franchesca
1 months ago
I agree with Dean, subinterfaces are commonly used in firewalls for different security zones.
upvoted 0 times
Dean
2 months ago
I think the answer is B) A firewall performing deep packet inspection.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel