Deal of The Day! Hurry Up, Grab the Special Discount - Save 25% - Ends In 00:00:00 Coupon code: SAVE25
Welcome to Pass4Success

- Free Preparation Discussions

Cisco Exam 100-490 Topic 6 Question 52 Discussion

Actual exam question for Cisco's 100-490 exam
Question #: 52
Topic #: 6
[All 100-490 Questions]

To which value is the configuration register changed to bypass the loading of the startup configuration when performing a password recovery on a Cisco device?

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: D

The configuration register on Cisco devices controls how the device boots up. By changing the configuration register to 0x2142, you instruct the router to bypass the startup configuration file stored in NVRAM. This is crucial in the password recovery process because the passwords are stored in this configuration file.

Procedure for Password Recovery:

1. Break the boot sequence: Power cycle the router (turn off/on). During the boot process, send a 'Break' signal to get into ROMmon mode.

2. Change the configuration register: In ROMmon mode, type confreg 0x2142 and reload the router.

3. Boot without startup-config: The router will boot up, ignoring the saved startup configuration, allowing you to enter privileged EXEC mode without a password.

4. Change the password: Access configuration mode (configure terminal), and change the passwords as needed (enable password, enable secret, etc.).

5. Reset the configuration register: Set the configuration register back to its original value (usually 0x2102).

6. Save changes: Save the new configuration with copy running-config startup-config.

Contribute your Thoughts:

Nieves
2 days ago
If only there was a way to bypass the configuration entirely and just boot up the device with a single command. That would be the ultimate password recovery hack!
upvoted 0 times
Deonna
3 days ago
This is a great question! Option C is the way to go. I remember reading about this in the Cisco documentation.
upvoted 0 times
Virgie
6 days ago
Ugh, password recovery questions are the worst. I'm just going to guess and hope for the best.
upvoted 0 times
Lelia
10 days ago
Hmm, this is a tricky one. I'm leaning towards option D, but I could be wrong. Better double-check my notes.
upvoted 0 times
Aileen
14 days ago
Option B seems the most logical choice here. I'm pretty confident that's the right answer.
upvoted 0 times
Julianna
4 days ago
I think it's A) 0x2102
upvoted 0 times
Irene
30 days ago
Actually, Tashia, 0x2102 is the default value for normal startup.
upvoted 0 times
Tashia
1 months ago
I'm not sure, but I think it's A) 0x2102.
upvoted 0 times
Wade
1 months ago
I agree with Della, because 0x2142 is the value to bypass startup config.
upvoted 0 times
Della
2 months ago
I think the answer is D) 0x2142.
upvoted 0 times

Save Cancel